Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Author Interview: Kate Noble

Current Read: Delicious by Sherry Thomas





Happy Wednesday! Please welcome today's featured author, Kate Noble. Kate's debut novel from Berkley Sensation is Compromised. I just finished it and absolutely loved it!

You can check out Compromised here. And now, on with the interview...

Tell us about your debut novel, Compromised.

Compromised is a fun historical romance set in London – I can’t call it Regency or Victorian, because its time period is dead between, 1829. My hero and heroine, Max and Gail, bicker and snipe, set each other’s backs up constantly, and skate that thin line between love and hate. Whenever they are together sparks fly, but there’s one small problem: Max is betrothed to Gail’s sister Evangeline.

And I can attest - sparks definitely fly! Do you have any hard & fast writing routines or rituals?

Hard and fast writing rituals? Not really. I get into habits for a couple months at a time, but then those habits change. When I was writing Compromised, I would go to the gym every Saturday morning, then on my way home stop at my neighborhood diner, order an omelet and a lemonade and write for an hour, an hour and a half. When I was writing my second book (Revealed, which will be released in Spring 2009), I would type while having the Baz Luhrmann film Strictly Ballroom playing in the background – just a little noise to keep me company. I must have played that movie 600 times. One thing that is hard and fast for me: I always always always work better with a deadline. Necessity (or in my case, panic) is the mother of invention.

I can sympathize. I think I've listened to "Bleeding Love" a thousand times! Can you tell us a little about your journey to becoming published?

When I finished the first draft of Compromised, I was more shocked than anything else -- I had actually completed a book. The ‘now what’ phase began, where I sent the manuscript off to a couple of RWA chapter contests and got some good and helpful feedback, made some revisions, and then started querying agents. After a healthy number of rejections, I landed a great agent, then a publisher. The whole process from finishing the first draft to the date of publication took about 3 years.

Congratulations! What do you do when you aren't writing?

My main activity when not writing is procrastinating. I do this a number of ways: 1. Movies. I love movies, and I consider watching them studying story structure and characterization. Or that’s how I explain to myself why I paid money to see The House Bunny. 2. Television: two words – Project Runway. And 3. Reading. I’ve got a To Be Read pile literally floor to ceiling. I’m always telling myself I should write more often, but darned if my methods of procrastination don’t lure me away.

My reading pile is towering as well. :0) What are you working on now, writing-wise?

I turned in an outline for my third book to my publishers, and now I’m just waiting to hear if it’s accepted. While I wait, I’m ticky-tacking away on the draft. Because the hardest thing for me to write is the first draft, I want to get a move on it. It’s all downhill from there.

What is your favorite thing about being a published author?

I get to write for a living!

Your least favorite?

I have to write for a living!

And here is a random question for you: What do you always take with you when you fly?

A book and a pack of gum. My ears always pop on planes (hence the gum) and the book because… well, duh.

Awesome, Kate! Thank you for being here. It's been a pleasure! Be sure to visit Kate's website at http://www.katenoble.com/. It's gorgeous!

We have a signed copy of Kate's book for one lucky commenter. Same drill - comment by Friday and I'll draw a random winner!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Engaged to her sister, sounds interesting

Kate Noble said...

Thanks, bethre. It was certainly interesting in how it came out -- surprised even me.

Tiffany James said...

Howdy, Beth!

Great to see you - as always! :0)

Kate's storyline makes for great conflict and tension...I won't give anything away, but I love how the emotion contributes to the climax. I love action and adventure, but I'm all about relationship & emotion and this book totally delivers!

Tiffany

Dina said...

Hi Kate,

You do have a great site and I think your book cover is lovely.
Congrats on your debut.

Dina

Kate Noble said...

Thanks Dina!

Tiffany James said...

Hi, Dina!

Great to see you! I love the colors on Kate's website...and her curly hair. I'm jealous! :0)

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Compromised sounds like a great read. I can't wait to read it. I have never been on a plane but if I were to go I think I'd take my ipod and books.

What is the one thing that has surprised you most about being a published author?

Lee Silver said...

Intriguing excerpt Kate. I love the banter between Gail and her green-eyed friend!

Procrastinating? Its not a problem for me. I can usually put it off until tomorrow :)

Lee
Lee Silver
"Romance with a Twist"
THE TWIST, BookStrand #1 bestseller
www.LeeSilver.org

Tiffany James said...

Kimmy,

I don't have an ipod - I still carry around a bulky "Discman". My kids laugh at me...

Anyway, I would definitely take my Discman and my CD's on my flight!

Thanks for stopping by and good luck!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Lee,

You are hilarious!

I'm like an Olympic athlete (only completely out of shape), I like the thrill of pressure (not necessarily competition)...that's why I love to procrastinate! :0)

Tiffany

Helen Hardt said...

Sounds like a wonderful book, Kate, and I love that time period. I'll definitely check it out!

Helen

Eva S said...

Hi Kate and Tiffany,
thanks for the interview! I love historicals and this one sounds like a book for me! And I liked the colors on your website too. Great excerpt, I love a hero with green eyes...

robynl said...

Max and Gail are folks I would love to meet; I really like the book cover.

Kate Noble said...

Kimmy,

The thing that's surprised me most about being a published author is just how many people I know have read Compromised. I mean, my 8th grade math teacher read my book. How weird is that?

Thanks to everyone else who commented -- Tiffany, this has been so much fun!

Tiffany James said...

Hi, Helen!

I really like this time period, too. I'm a fan of Regency and Victorian, as well, but this was such a refreshing change!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Hi, Eva!

I love Kate's website - it makes me want to completely re-do mine...

Isn't that excerpt great? What a way to meet!

Good luck in the contest!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Robyn,

Wouldn't it be fun to have dinner with Max and Gail...there are a couple of other characters I'd love to invite as well. But you'll have to read the book to know who! :0)

Great to see you and good luck!

Tiffany

Renee Knowles said...

Hi Kate! This is a fun interview. The book sounds hot! I've just added it to my TBB pile. I will get it at my weekly B & N stop :)

Thanks for sharing a little of your journey with us!

Renee
www.reneeknowles.com

Tiffany James said...

Hey, Renee!

Great to see you...I know how sleep-deprived and running crazy you are. I think you'll really enjoy "Compromised"!

Tiffany