Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday's Word Wizard: Donna Hatch!

Current Read: The Stranger She Married by Donna Hatch





Please welcome the lovely Donna Hatch, today's Word Wizard! Donna's debut novel, The Stranger She Married is now available from The Wild Rose Press.



Tell us about your release, The Stranger She Married.

Okay, here's my "elevator pitch"Book 1 of the Rogue Hearts Series: Torn between a disfigured war hero with the heart of a poet, and a handsome libertine who may not be all he seems, impoverished Alicia must marry by the end of the month. Despite a murder threat looming over her, learning to love the stranger she married may pose the greatest danger of all … to her heart.

The cover is gorgeous! Can you tell us a little about how covers come into being? Do you have input into the process?

Most publishers don't let the authors have any input, but I was lucky -- mine does. I filled out a questionnaire with character descriptions and a concept of what I'd pictured. The finished result was unlike anything I'd imagined, and my book's hero looks nothing like the cover, but they got the heroine spot-on right down to the eye color. And I do like it, too -- especially the castle in the background.

What are you working on now?

I'm finalizing the edits on book 2 of the Rogue Heart's Series which is called "The Guise of a Gentleman." The plan is to have it released in May or June 2009. Each book is a stand-alone book, about a different brother of the Amesbury family, and the family members wander in and out of each other's books.


I love to get updated on characters from other stories! You have a posse of kiddos, how do you find time to write? How do you balance family with writing?

Yes, with 6 children, making time to write is very challenging. I do much of my writing at night after they are in bed, or during nap time, but when I'm on a roll, I write instead of unimportant things like sleep and fix dinner. I haven't dusted since last Christmas and I gave up scrap booking. This year, my youngest child just started kindergarten, so now I can write after they all leave for school. I also work in an office part time every afternoon, so that really cuts into my writing but I'm very focused, (or obsessed) so I keep at it at odd times of the day. And night.

I think you have to be obsessed in this business. :0) What is the coolest thing about being an author?

A huge rush came when I got my contract and I was giddy about it for months. But I have to say that it was nothing compared to the day my book came out and I saw it on the home page of my publisher. The euphoria was a surreal experience. The giddiness is still with me and I've noticed people inching away from me when my grin gets a bit too happy. I guess I scare people. And now I do it without even opening my mouth.

The mark of a true author - scaring those around us without even opening our mouths! What has surprised you about being a published author?

How excited my friends and family were for me. I knew they'd be supportive, but I had no idea how they'd rally around me and help me promote it.

What do you like to do when you aren't writing?

I love to read more than almost anything else. And I love music; I sing, play the harp, and am the choir director for church. I also like to swim, water ski, snow ski, and dance. I'm totally uncoordinated, so I don't play any team sports and sports enthusiasts worldwide thank me for it. And, sappy as it sounds, I love to spend time with my husband; talking, walking, playing racquetball, or just cuddling.

A random question: This has turned into the theme for October...Do you celebrate Halloween? If so, what's your favorite costume?

My children and I love Halloween. We decorate the house and take the kids trick or treating around the neighborhood. I was never cool enough to be anything scary as a kid, I always went for the pretty costumes like fairies and princesses. Lately, I've been recyling a Maid Marian costume and my husband dresses as Robin Hood. I have yet to find an adequate Sherwood Forest, though.

Donna is generously offering an e-copy of The Stranger She Married in a contest. Same rules as always - leave us a comment and you're entered into the random drawing. The winner will be announced Friday!

Want your very own copy of The Stranger She Married? Order on line at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/. Look for The Stranger She Married on the historicals page or for a direct link click here. You can download it onto your computer where you can print it if you wish, or you can download it into your Palm Pilot, Sony E-Reader, or Amazon's Kindle. It's only $6.00. It will also be in paper back in April for $14.00.

Check out Donna's website here. There's a "buy it now" link on her website as well as a book trailer for The Stranger She Married. You can also visit her on MySpace...that's how we met!

Happy Wednesday!

26 comments:

Asylumgirl said...

Wow, 6 kids! I've only got half that and I'm slowly losing my mind. LOL

Let me know when you find Sherwood Forest and we'll all go there to live!

Deidre

Unknown said...

I like the premis of the book, sounds like a great read

Tiffany James said...

Deidre,

I'm with you there! Like they say: insanity is hereditary...you get it from your kids! Although I love my three little dears, sometimes I just need quiet and solitude. :0)

I'm in for Sherwood Forest!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Beth,

I've only read the first bit of Donna's book...I've got five words for you: can't wait to read more!

Great to see you.

Tiffany

Judy said...

I love the cover also. It is very catching to the eye, with all the different items. The story also sounds like something I would like to read.

Wow:: 6 children. I bet you a great time at Halloween!!

Beth Caudill said...

Congrats on the release. You're one busy woman. Good luck with your WIPs.

Jennifer Johnson said...

Great interview. Donna, you're a busy woman! I love the idea of the characters from previous books making appearances in later ones. Cool.
Jennifer Johnson

Linda Banche said...

Your book sounds great.

Christina Phillips said...

Great interview, Donna! I love the sound of your book. And you made me laugh about scaring people without opening your mouth - I do that too!! LOL!

P.L. Parker said...

Donna:

Great Interview. Good luck and many sales.

Patsy

Denysé Bridger said...

Congratulations on the publication of this very special book, Donna. I had the pleasure of hosting you on my blog last week, and this book is wonderful, I know... the magic of an era gone, but the true romance that lives within us all... Cover is stunning, too... very evocative.

Good luck, and many, many sales!!!

Blessings,
Denyse
http://amoresenzaconfini.blogspot.com

Tiffany James said...

Judy,

Thanks for joining us! Good luck with the contest.

Do you celebrate Halloween?

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Hi, Beth!

Thanks for joining us. I'm going to quit whining about how I just can't find time to write now that I've chatted with Donna!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Jennifer,

Great to have you with us! I also love to check in with favorite characters from previous novels.

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Linda,

Thanks for stopping by!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Christina,

Great to have you with us for Donna's feature!

When I get inspired with a new writing idea and get to talking a hundred miles a minute, my husband just slowly backs away. It makes me feel like a crazed, wild animal!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Patsy,

Thanks for joining us!

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Denyse,

How sweet of you to stop by my blog and chat with Donna! I can't wait to read more of her book...I'd read 24/7 if I could. I'm looking forward to dropping by your blog.

Tiffany :0)

Lynn Reynolds said...

Well, Donna, I guess I can't complain about having no time to write if you can manage it with a part-time job AND six kids. I admire your organizational skills. I love regencies, so I'm looking forward to reading "The Stranger She Married." Best of luck with it!

Eva S said...

Hi Donna and Tiffany,
congrats on the release, great cover! This sounds like a book for me again, although I already have a very long wishlist for Christmas...
Writing books and all your hobbies, with 6 kids!! My two is enough (perhaps because I have 4 sisters and my husband 6 brothers...), you're amazing!

orelukjp0 said...

I loved learning a little bit more about you. Good luck on your new book. I know it will be a great success. It's just too bad that all publishers do not let the authors have more input on the covers, after all, you know your characters and story lines the best.

Gayle

P.S. Can I go with you to Sherwood Forest to live also?

Tiffany James said...

Lynn,

Great to have you with us! Donna is most definitely an inspiration.

Tiffany :0)

Tiffany James said...

Eva,

Stick with me - we'll have your Christmas list a mile long by shopping season! :0)

Tiffany

Tiffany James said...

Gayle,

Thanks for joining us. I agree - authors know best in a lot of respects!

Tiffany

Susan Yarina said...

Dear Donna,
The cover is lovely and the book sounds intriging. I would love to win it. I too, believe in happy endings. Wishing you many sales...
Write on!
~~Susan Yarina-author
SusanYarina.com

Donna Hatch said...

Diedre,
I have lost my mind. Otherwise I wouldn't want to be a writer. Having six children is further proof.