Friday, May 23, 2008

A Writer's Life

Current Read: A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Wow! I am not a huge paranormal reader, but this is good...grabbed me from page one and I have had difficulty stopping... even when the mac and cheese is boiling over (mucking up my all ready filthy stove), the phone is ringing, the kids are trading insults at the top of their lungs and I am...supposed...to...be blogging!

Those of you readers who are also writers will understand my absence (besides reading, see above)...I received my first rejection letter from an agent. I took a couple of days to wallow and fight the "what-the-hell-do-I-think-I-am-doing-trying-to-be-a-writer" demon and now here I am, refreshed and ready to try anew! It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Samuel Beckett:

Try.
Fail.
Try again.
Fail better.

So, here I am ready to fail better...

For those of you in the Loveland/Northern Colorado area, my thoughts to all of you affected in any shape or form by the tornadoes and crazy weather.

If you need some distraction and a helping of fun, be sure to stop at the Barnes and Noble at Centerra to visit with local authors Melissa Mayhue, Lynda Hilburn, and Robin D. Owens. They will be signing from 2 - 5 pm. If you can't make it, don't despair. I am hoping to cajole them into signing a plethora of books that I can give away on this blog! Stay tuned...

On a different note, Newsweek published a web article last week on Generation R (R is for Reader) about the boom young adult fiction is currently experiencing. They are calling kids age 12-18 Generation R. These teens are saying that they enjoy reading because it takes them away from the stress in their lives. They enjoy how books allow them to create worlds in their heads with their own imaginations.

I was encouraged by this article. There is still a roiling controversy over the YA (young adult) genre because the themes of books are becoming more mature…but so are our kids, right? Anyway, I am hopeful, because in our media and digital centered world, I am glad to see kids still turning to books. Don’t get me wrong, movies and video games can be great, but books still serve a very unique, specific role and have a value that simply cannot be expressed in a space as small as this blog.

My hope as an aspiring author and parent is that this love of reading continues into adulthood for these kids.

What do you think? Were you a reader as a kid or was it a hobby you picked up as an adult?

2 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Tiffany,

I got my first rejection letter yesterday. But I can't complain as far as rejections go, it was the nicest one I could have possibly received.

I read as a child, lost it as a teen and picked it up again as and adult.

Renee

Tiffany James said...

Renee,

Sorry to hear about your rejection letter! It's nice to know neither of us are alone. :0)

I am still fairly new to the world of writing, but I have found so many "nice" things - rejection letters, writers, agents, editors, etc. It reaffirms my belief that I am where I am supposed to be.

Thanks for the comment and keep writing...I want to know when you get a request and not a rejection!

Did you choose to move away from reading as a teen or was it a "victim of circumstance"?

Tiffany